Thursday, April 17, 2008

WELCOME


Gentle Readers and Friends:

I was born in a library.

Naw. Not really. But I could've - perhaps should've? - been.

I love books. I grew up in a household groaning with every author imaginable, from Chaucer, Donne, and Shakespeare to Virginia Burton, J.M. Barrie and Dr. Seuss. So it seems only natural that this blog reflect my passion, hence Paw Prints, a clearly unoriginal but nevertheless accurate title for what we're trying to do at this blog.

Paw Prints focuses on three of my abiding interests and focuses: books, writing, and the Lord Jesus Christ. Paw Prints will feature essays, reviews, descriptions, and book or literary "hits and misses" based on my purely subjective and personal rating. This will take some time, but that's our goal. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Please note that many of the books featured here are from an unabashedly evangelical Christian perspective. But not all. Some of the books due to be featured here are simply enjoyable stories and well-written literature worth sharing. Some are profound, others fall into the category of "fluff" or even "chick lit." Some you may like or agree with; others yiou probably won't. That's okay. The books featured here are all , IMHO, good reads. And my purely subjective criterion for a "good read" is:

-- Does this book or story provoke thought, expand horizons, pose questions, introduce the reader to new characters, cultures, setting or possibilities?

-- If fiction, are the characters well-drawn, three-dimensional and dynamic?

-- If non-fiction, what kind of "take away" value does the book offer? What do I learn from reading it?

-- Is the language emotive, expressive, lyrical, beautiful, and crisp?

-- Is the book's message clear, coherent, uplifting and/or challenging?

My hope is that Paw Prints will "bite" you with a love for books and reading, and help plant and nurture a love of both the written word and The Living Word.

Solo deo Gloria.

1 comment:

gerbmom said...

That's my favorite Lewis quote. :)

BTW - I landed here via your link on the Emerging Women's Blog. I loved what you had to say about retreats. Amen, and amen. I could not have said it better myself - also a hairs breadth from 50, an introvert, and one who is tired, tired, tired of sappy women's retreats and also of having to justify why I don't go to them, or attend all sessions on the rare occasion that I do go.....
Thanks for the post!